Kingdom of the Fall by michaelglascock

Château de Najac, XIIe, XIIIe siècle
Under the reign of: • Louis VI (1108-1137).

Key dates: • By 1180 the castle belongs to the Plantagenets.

• 1196: It returns to the Count of Toulouse Raymond VI.

• 1214: Simon de Montfort seizes Najac.

• 1249: Death of Count Raymond VII of Toulouse. His lands passed to his son Alphonse of Poitiers, brother of King Louis IX.

• 1271: Death of Alphonse de Poitiers. Midi annexed to the royal domain.

• 1572: The Huguenots seized Najac and devastate the castle.

• 1590: It is taken by the troops of Henry IV

via 500px

Autumn House by michaelglascock

Colourful house in the town of Lauzerte
Beautiful Village of France
Beaux Villages de France

via 500px

Butterfly Laundrette by michaelglascock

The washing basins lotois, flourished between 1800 and 1950, as in the rest of France
Some washing basins even have their own specificity with their stone slab shaped “V” and meet the sweet name of ” butterfly laundries

via 500px

Relaxing Atmosphere by michaelglascock

Castelnau Montmiral was founded as an albigensian bastide in 1222 by Raymond VII, count of Toulouse, under the name “Castellum Novum Montis Mirabilis”.

During the subsequent years, the village remained an impressive stronghold. In 1345, during the Hundred Years’ War, when Edward the Black Prince invaded the Albigeois, he reportedly left without besieging the village… Later, it served as a shelter for Catholics who were fleeing from Gaillac because of the Wars of Religion. King Louis XIII visited Castelnau in June 1622, and stayed in the “Tonnac” house.

via 500px

Another Era by michaelglascock

The majestic ruins of the castle give an idea of its powerful past ; the castle of Penne was a fortress erected to protect the valley of the Aveyron.

It was probably built in the Merovingian period (430-740 period). The first mention of the castle in a document was in the year 825.

It has been the subject of many battles during all periods of history (crusade against the Cathars, hundred years’ war, etc..) until it was dismantled in 1586. Today work for a gradual restoration is ongoing ; this began in 2006.

via 500px